COVID-19 Reopening Matrix
• Vaccinated travelers, fully vaccinated with an accepted vaccine 0-360 days before entry (or 22-360 days for one-shot vaccines); recovered travelers, recovered no more than 180 days before entry; or travelers with proof of antibodies issued no more than 90 days before entry; need not pre-register, carry a negative COVID-19 test or quarantine.
• Recovered travelers from Cyprus require proof of recovery 14-90 days before entry, must be asymptomatic in the 48 hours before entry, and must no longer pose epidemiological risk.
• Travelers from high-risk countries here remain required to pre-register, carry a negative PCR test and quarantine even if vaccinated or recovered.
• Quarantine and COVID-19 Testing: Negative COVID-19 PCR test issued no more than 72 hours before entry for all travelers aged 12 and over. Test results must be in German or English and must show the name and birth date of the tested person, date and time of the test, test result, and signature of the person conducting the test. Tests must be stamped by the testing institute.
- Antigen tests issued no more than 48 hours before entry, or a COVID-19 PCR or antigen test within 24 hours of entry, are accepted for travelers from low-risk countries (excluding Cyprus – travelers from Cyprus still require a PCR test and cannot test in country).
- Transport staff (in case of transit, carrying documents securing exit from Austria) and individuals in transit (carrying documents securing exit from Austria) are exempt.
- Children travelling with vaccinated adults remain required to carry a negative test.
• 10-day quarantine at home or a pre-booked accommodation for all travelers, except:
- Travelers from safe / low-risk countries, who stayed in these countries in the 10 days preceding entry.
- Transport staff and individuals in transit.
- Travelers with exceptional, urgent family reasons for travel.
- Travelers entering for professional reasons, who must prove this by providing documents such as employer confirmations, purchase or delivery orders or job interview confirmations.
• Other relevant considerations for quarantine include the following:
- Individuals required to quarantine must carry proof of suitable accommodation booking.
- Individuals can reduce the quarantine duration by completing a COVID-19 antigen or PCR test on the fifth day of entry and can cease quarantine upon receiving a negative test result.
• Austria has partially reopened its immigration authorities.
- Prior appointments are required.
- In Vienna, biometrics can only be scheduled after arrival. Applicants submit a passport stamp or flight ticket to confirm their arrival date, and a negative COVID-19 test result. This is causing delay in obtaining residence permits.
- Extension applications should still be submitted via email, if possible.
- Approved residence permits are being delivered via regular mail.
• Most consular posts have reopened. Please check with your consular post before visiting.
- The embassy in New Delhi currently only accepts residence permit applications.
• TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS: Travel from high-risk countries (‘virus variant areas’) as detailed here is limited to essential purposes:
- Austrian/EU/European Economic Area/Swiss nationals and residents, and their cohabiting family members.
- Austrian residence permit or residence document holders (including Article 50 filing confirmation).
- Travelers entering to start or proceed with studies or research, or who are in school in Austria.
- Those traveling for professional reasons.
- Travelers with exceptional, urgent, or important family reasons for travel (including visiting a life partner).
- Transport staff
- Individuals in transit who carry documents securing exit from Austria.
• Entry from safe / low-risk countries and from other countries (neither low- nor high-risk) is permitted without restriction on entry purpose. Entry requirements apply as detailed below.
• Border checks at the land borders with Hungary and Slovenia until November 11.
• Virtual services only, where possible.
• In-person property viewings are restricted.
Temporary AccommodationsProperties are available.
• Staggered reopening of schools began 4 May, with most students returning by 18 May.
• Schools are operating on a reduced, rotational schedule and safety regulations are in place.
• Primary school children are minded at schools on school-free days.
• All shops, shopping centers and hairdressers are open for business, masks are mandatory for staff and customers.
• Gatherings of up to 10 people are allowed.
• Cafes, bars, and restaurants and hotels are open.
• Mask-wearing is required on public transport.
• All government offices are closed.
• Public transportion is available.
Household GoodsSurvey (Video/In-person)
Packing/Delivery Services (After Customs Clearance) Available?
•Yes, but restricted to small operations
• Air: Limited number of flights (case-by-case), high rates
• Sea: Normal service at present
• Limited trucking capacity available; high rates.
Can packing/delivery take place without customer, or nominated representative?
• No, customer must sign waiver if nominating a representative.