Blog: Asia Pacific
Visa & Immigration Update | Shanghai Begins Issuing R-Visa to High-Level International Professionals
by Sophia Hu
Effective Date: Immediate and Ongoing
Impacted Area: Shanghai
To attract top international talent, the Shanghai Expert Bureau has started to issue R-visa for qualifying high-level foreign professionals seeking to work in Shanghai.
About R-Visa Application
- The R- visa allows multiple entries of up to 180 days per visit.
- An R-visa holder who needs to work in China is required to convert this to a work-permit card and/or residence permit directly in Shanghai. The work-permit card is valid up to 5 years without any age limitation and it will take about 3 working days to process.
- An approval letter from the Shanghai Expert Bureau is required prior to submitting the R-visa application to the overseas Chinese Embassy. It is expected to take 1-5 working days for the approval letter to be issued.
Impact of Above Changes
- High-level foreign professionals that meet the A type qualification can apply for an R-visa.
- The employer must be on Shanghai Expert Bureau’s approved list of companies.
- The employer must process the employee’s on-line application through Shanghai Mei Yuan Expert Bureau Headquarter office
SIRVA can assist to verify if your company is on the Shanghai Expert Bureau’s approved list.
For more information, please reach out to our SIRVA Immigration Specialists in China:
Beijing - Assalli Xu | T 8610-58700866 Ext 119| E firstname.lastname@example.org
Shanghai – Cooper Wu | T 8621-63323322 Ext 209 | E email@example.com
China - Sophia Hu | T 8621-63323322 Ext 206 | E firstname.lastname@example.org