COVID-19 Reopening Matrix
Quarantine RequiredCOVID-19 Testing Requirements
• Proof of negative COVID-19 nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) within 72 hours or rapid antigen test within 48 hours prior to departure for all travelers aged 12 and over, including transiting travelers. Non-resident foreign nationals entering without a test will be denied entry into Portugal, while Portuguese nationals and residents without a test will be allowed entry and can test upon arrival.
• Vaccinated and recovered travelers must additionally carry proof of vaccination or recovery: EU Digital COVID Certificate confirming full vaccination at least 14 days before entry with an EMA-approved vaccine; or recovery no more than 180 days before entry.
• Temperature screening for all arrivals. Those with a fever may be subject to a COVID-19 PCR test. They may leave the airport if they provide their destination details and must remain under quarantine there until they receive a negative result.
• On-arrival COVID-19 test for passengers who have been in Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe (regardless of vaccination status) within 14 days of arrival. Quarantine Requirements
• 14-day home quarantine for travelers from Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe, including those who visited these countries in the 14 days before entry. Travelers can reduce the quarantine duration by completing a COVID-19 TAAN or TRAg test on day 3 after arrival and obtaining a negative result. Travelers staying up to 48 hours do not have to quarantine.
• Consular posts are available by prior appointment in locations not covered by an entry ban.
• The immigration department (Servicio de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras – SEF) is available by prior appointment for urgent services. The immigration department is difficult to reach due to staff restrictions.
• NIF (Portuguese Tax Code) applications have resumed and can be submitted online with certified documents or in-person (by appointment or by showing up at the service, depending on the tax department).
• Processing of the following visa types resumed, depending on the consulate: study, volunteer work, research, family reunification, highly qualified activity, teaching, transfer of WTO nationals, service providers, entrepreneur/start-up; among limited others. Other visa types remain suspended until further notice. Travel Restrictions Entry is permitted for the following categories:
- Portuguese nationals and their family members;
- Residents of Portugal and Portuguese long-term visa holders;
- Travelers from the European Union, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland;
- Travel for any purpose from Brazil, the United States and the United Kingdom;
- Travelers for any purpose from Australia, Argentina, Bahrain, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Hong Kong SAR, Jordan, Kuwait, Macao SAR, Mainland China, Namibia, New Zealand, Peru, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Rwanda, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine and Uruguay, and residents of these countries who only stayed in these countries in the 14 days before entry (airport transits in other countries are permitted), provided that reciprocal travel is allowed;
- Travelers holding an EU residence permit or long-term visa, returning via Portugal to their country of residence;
- Fully vaccinated or recovered travelers carrying an EU Digital COVID Certificate;
- Essential travel from other countries, including for professional reasons, study, family reunion, health and humanitarian reasons; and
- Transiting travelers remaining in the airport transit area.
• These travel restrictions apply to land, sea and air travel.
• Services currently offered include:
- Virtual, with limited face-to-face interaction
- Lease checks
- Check in/out: prior to move-in, the unit has been pre-inspected; latest health or medical certification of all incoming occupants which will state that occupant/s was never a suspected or probable case individual/s and has never been identified as positive COVID -19 case individual/s, if identified, submit result of negative RT-PCR as per DOH standard; mandatory wearing of facemask, body temperature screening and use of foot bath.
• Timelines (normal)
• Market availability; mobility is limited to verify available properties.
• Yes. All bookings are being made virtually.
• No face-to-face support is available.
• Apartments are available.
SchoolsHigher professional education institutions (HBO) and universities are open.
• State of calamity is in place.
• Businesses and shops have reopened.
• No gatherings more than 10 people are permitted.
• Those who are sick must remain housebound.
Public TransportYes. Operating on a normal schedule.
Household GoodsSurvey (Video/In-person)
• Video recommended
Packing/Delivery Services (After Customs Clearance) Available?
• Air: Normal service at present.
• Sea: Normal Services at present.
• Normal at present
Can packing/delivery take place without customer, or nominated representative?
• No, customer must sign waiver if nominating a representative.